November 27, 2018

Does making your bed every morning really translate to increased productivity?

I remember reading somewhere once that making your bed in the morning will make you more productive and change your life. After typing "making your bed productivity" into Google, Huffington Post and Psychology Today confirmed my recollection. Most of them are from 2015. Do you think it's changed in three years?

So I did make my bed this morning. I'm quite small and don't move too much in my sleep, so it wasn't an ordeal. It was more of a straightening of the sheets than "making" anything. Now I'm getting sidetracked thinking about whether or not the amount of work corresponds to your levels of productivity. Maybe the key is actually that I have to make my bed 30 days in a row to create a habit.

Alas, I made my bed because I knew I couldn't let myself stop being productive. Even though I don't have a job right now, it does not mean that I don't have a schedule. I make sure that all parts of my day are accounted for. I'm really not lying on my resume when I say that some skills I possess are attention to detail and time management.


As evidence of my productivity today, I worked on my December 2018 bullet journal spread.
The theme: red Christmas ornaments. I followed this youtube "plan with me" video by AmandaRachLee.




The only supplies I used were Crayola Supertips, a Muji gel ink pen, and a gold Prismacolor color pencil. I don't even have any brush pens, so I did all the handlettering manually.

Now I need to figure out which six habits I want to track. One of them is definitely going to be applying for jobs. I have to keep myself accountable. It's just so easy to get discouraged after constant rejection. Maybe one of them needs to be making my bed in the morning. This is my chance! 


Long lines mean happy days, and short lines mean not happy days. It's difficult to say if the lines will be mostly long or short this month. I did write that it was the most wonderful time of the year....The best that I can hope for is consistency. In general, I'm pretty good at keeping the existential dread at bay by channeling my energy into things like bullet journals.


And finally, my weekly spread! This is going to be a fun week to fill out because I'm actually going on a short trip (for my boyfriend's work Christmas party, I promise I'm not being fiscally irresponsible).

I'll let you know if I'm more productive when I make my bed in the morning or I'm just truly committed to not letting my joblessness affect my mental well being.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

No comments: