November 26, 2018

When there's nothing left to lose, you've got to set yourself on fire...or quit your job

Disclaimer: I know I'm young and naive and a little too idealistic. I understand this. My mom constantly tells me that this is just "how things are." But isn't that what people used to say about racism? or even sexism? Furthermore, I do accept that the world sucks. I just have a lot of feelings.

When you quit your job without another job lined up, you really can't ask yourself if it was the right choice or not. Otherwise, you risk spiraling into an extended existential crisis where you spend every spare moment rationalizing the past and wallowing in regret. You need to be looking forward to the future.

At least this is what I'm telling myself after leaving a toxic work environment.

My boss condescendingly told me on my way home one night that she didn't want to hear anymore about my "trashy" social life. So two things: 1) I was literally in my car. She made me roll my window down to tell me this and 2) This was her response to my plans to go see Taylor Swift in concert. I would argue that Taylor Swift puts on a pretty wholesome show. (I mean, there were children there!) 

Obviously, this isn't the only reason I quite my job. If it were, then your judgement of me might be warranted. I really was relieved, though. There was a lot of change happening around me that sparked a longing for something better. It's time to get honest with myself about what I want and the steps I need to take to get there. It's not ideal, but it does force me to pursue what I want with a sense of urgency. More on what I actually want later. For now, I need to process.

I have read a minimum of five articles detailing my current situation, except all the writers of those articles are clearly not in said situation anymore. So here I am to chronicle my journey through unemployment with no backup plan!




Here are some other things I've done since being unemployed.

New Recipes I've created out of necessity
1) Thanksgiving Leftover Quesadillas with Cranberry Sauce garnish
2) Sausage Gravy Pasta with Mixed Vegetables

Podcasts I've started
1) Moms and Murder
2) Ologies
3) Murder and Margs

May or may not have also tried to join a Dungeons and Dragons group.

No comments: